Dirty Pours

What a name for a great usable technique, the Dirty Pour. One would think that this is an easy process  and that the results are superb every time, but not true. Using a discerning eye on the process and the result is so key, but then my thought is where do I take this process beyond the "dirty pour" look.

 Right now I definitely have a few that will be going on the market. Love them framed and what they do as Art Decor. Is that a bad thing? NO. For me the process of a dirty pour is exciting and opens new doors of creation. Not every dirty pour has a good result, but they have an opportunity to be something great. Opportunity becomes the key word.

 My photography on these first couple dirty pours, I will show is not the best. The colors are fabulous and the gloss is super. I am choosing to place them in gold frames with a few black lines (frame with an Asian flair). Gold is becoming more and more popular, still favoring black for many frames, the gold just pops these first two paintings:




Top is "Green Dance", Bottom is "Peacock".  I am not simply doing the pour, I am adding and directing with my color layout.  While so much is unexpected with this technique, there is opportunity to manipulate and add. These paintings are on stretched canvas 10" x 10" x 1 .5 , and high gloss.  They work great as a pair or alone.  Allow them to pop on a painted wall.  That is were Artspan.com prints offer a perfect opportunity, not only to see if you can purchase a print in a different size, but to play with frames, and WALL COLORING!!!!  However, you can still purchase the original and play with the same features.  How perfect.





These two paintings are framed in floater frames which allows for the painting to float away from the edge of the frame.  The black between the painting edge and the frame creates a boundary for your eye and clean depth for great viewing.  I do wire my pieces for immediate hanging. 
Many dirty pours may seem mediocre at best, but creative inspiration and opportunities can't be measured,  I love opportunities.  Think outside of the box.  Can I cut the piece up and use it in a larger painting, I can do a re-pour, can I add on top and so much more.  I could add into my stoneware pottery... oh my... the opportunities, my days are exciting and filled.




Above is "Black Line Nude, Vulnerable", this was an opportunity.  This started as a dirty pour, and I wish I would have taken a picture of the the surface for its color and texture.  This is a very rough surface, not built up high, just rough and bumpy.  I loved what I saw in having those white and cream spots.  I then pulled a life drawing sketch from my pile of studies and decided to keep it dark, used a pen brush and then black acrylic paint to sketch my figure.  Leaving it pretty raw. Not sure if I will frame, because I love the sides.  This is a 12" x 9" x 1.5" stretched canvas.  The sides are painted, but limited.  They show more of the cream and white of the initial pour.  For me that works rather than darkening the sides.




I work on a number of pieces at the same time.  When I did "Black Line Nude, Vulnerable"  I also worked out the figure gesture in watercolor since I had a small piece of stretched quality paper beside me.  The end result is already on Artspan.nancybossert.com, category: works under $280.00.  

I am so fortunate to be able to do, every day, something I love so much.



works for sale through contacts: nancybossert@gmail.com, galleries, artspan.nancybossert.com,  and saatchi.com
Questions and comments always welcome

Comments

Popular Posts